Friday, 7 December 2012

Flashback Friday - The Hospital Scare

This week for Flashback Friday, I thought I'd write about my experience during my pregnancy with Wee Z and the mad dash we made to the hospital at 28 weeks pregnant.

I was in pain. I'd never had pain like it before so I was pretty scared I was going into labour. I phoned the maternity unit and they told me to come straight down.

It was about 11pm so the unit was really quiet. Even so, it still took ages for the midwife to come and see me and even longer for a Doctor to come and see me. I had to have blood taken, I had to be hooked up to the foetal heart monitor and I had to give a urine sample.

Husband was with me the whole time and probably quite worried that I was about to give birth. We were nowhere near ready to have this baby.

Eventually, a midwife came to see me and told me they would have to keep me in because it was getting so late. It was about 2am and I was admitted on to the ward. Husband was sent home. It was strange being there as this was the ward where all the new babies were. It was scary. It was also very noisy. I don't think I slept much that night.

The auxiliaries came round in the morning to announce breakfast. I had some weetabix and a croissant. It was lovely. I wasn't in too much pain as the midwife had given me some painkillers to take. I still didn't know what was wrong with me but I was reassured that they didn't think it was anything too serious as they weren't making a huge panicked-fuss over me.

Eventually a Doctor came to see me and told me that I had urine infection. I was sent home with some painkillers and some medicine to make me feel better.

I was glad to be out of the maternity ward. I wasn't ready to go there yet, nor was Wee Z. I was feeling pretty confident that I wouldn't be back until I was ready to meet Wee Z but my body and my boy had other ideas.


Jenny Paulin said...

ooooh you have opened the way for another instalment post!!
that must have been very scary being rushed in like that not knowing if all was well or not. i am relieved that, for now at least, it was just a urine infection although i am now wondering what happens next!! x x
thanks for linking up x

Sarah Wood said...

I had that with my middle one - at 29 weeks and 35 weeks. Went to hospital 4 times in 8 days between 35 and 36 weeks before they finally diagnosed me. It's a scary time.

notmyyearoff said...

That sounds very scary...its worrying enough as it is with your first without sharp pains making you go to hospital. Did Wee Z come early in the end??

Lauren_W said...

Thank goodness it was "only" a urine infection and nothing serious. It's horrid when you go in so late and have to wait until the morning isn't it.
I'm really enjoying your pregnancy series.
Thanks for linking up xx

Mum ofallTrades said...

those infections are very painful, and even more frightening when your'e pregnant. Glad things turned out ok.

Previous Posts