There are times when your hair is in need of some tender loving care. If you've over-styled it with too many blow dries, straightening sessions, perms or colour treatments, it's going to show. Likewise if you swim a lot or spend a lot of time in the sun, or simply don't eat a hair-healthy diet, you'll find that it will become dry, brittle, dull, tangled, limp and in every other way unsatisfactory. So is it too much to ask, to give your hair the love it deserves?
Here are some first aid tips for hair!
* Book an appointment with your hairdresser for a deep conditioning treatment and a trim. The combined effect of these two will make a world of difference.
* Initiate a hair-friendly diet regime - ditch the junk food, cut down on alcohol and caffeine and boost your intake of healthy nutrients.
* Whip up an avocado and olive oil conditioning mask. Apply it to your hair and scalp, put on a shower cap or wrap it in cling film and then leave it in place for half an hour. Rinse out and shampoo as normal and you'll find your hair wonderfully soft and shiny.
* Eat a handful of walnuts every day - they'll provide you with protein, omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin E and biotin, all of which contribute significantly to the condition of your hair.
* Rinse your hair through with apple cider vinegar, or mix it with an egg to make a mask. Apple cider vinegar is a traditional hair tonic and is reputed to reduce tangles, slow hair loss, cure an itchy scalp, minimise split ends and generally condition hair.
* Take care to eat enough protein. Protein is the basic building block of hair and if you're diet's short of it, it's your hair that will suffer. The best source of protein is eggs and other good sources are poultry and fish. It's tougher to eat adequate protein if you're vegetarian or vegan but nuts, legumes and grains all contain it.
* Oily fish is packed with good oils - the omega 3 fatty acids - and not only do these condition your hair from the inside, they're also helpful if you suffer from a dry and itchy scalp. Which fish are oily? Salmon, herring, mackerel and anchovies are the obvious ones, so try and eat them at least a couple of times a week.
* Who doesn't love honey? But did you realise this natural sweet stuff has wonderful hair-nurturing properties too? Mix it with olive oil or yogurt and use it as a conditioning mask for your hair - best left on for up to an hour. Once your rinse it off, shampoo like normal. It's great for dry hair and split ends.
* A healthy scalp needs a healthy blood supply, so check whether there's enough iron in your diet. You'll get this super mineral from red meat or leafy green vegetables and your body's better able to absorb it if you eat Vitamin C rich foods at the same time.
About the Author:
NiceHair is a hair loss prevention specialist website featuring tips, tricks and advice on hair loss prevention, interviews, healthy eating, delicious recipes as well as beauty tips, product reviews and lists some of the best hair loss shampoos. For more information please visit nicehair.org and get in touch.
- ► 2016 (422)
- The Week That Was #22
- Me & Mine 2015 - May
- The Black and White Photo Project #46
- My Sunday Photo 2015 #22
- 365 Project 2015 Days 144 - 150
- What I've Been Wearing #10
- Interviewing my 6 Year Old
- A Letter to my Six Year Old
- Miss C Turns 6
- Macro #TheGallery
- A First Family Football Game
- The Week That Was #21
- The Black and White Photo Project #45
- My Sunday Photo 2015 #21
- 365 Project 2015 Days 137 - 143
- Getting an A on my Graded Unit
- Landscape #TheGallery
- Clementoni Toys - Review
- A First Vlog
- The Week That Was #20
- My Sunday Photo 2015 #20
- The Black and White Photo Project #44
- 365 Project 2015 Days 130 - 136
- Sibling Moments #17
- Sleepovers and Making Date Nights Happen
- What Z's Been Wearing #9
- Animal #TheGallery
- Some Tips for Saving Your Pennies
- Spontaneous Sunday Afternoons
- First Aid For Hair
- Funny Things My Kids Say #38
- Daddy and Daughter Moments
- The Week That Was #19
- The Black and White Photo Project #43
- My Sunday Photo 2015 #19
- 365 Project 2015 Days 123 - 129
- Summer Fashion from Vertbaudet
- One Day in May #TheGallery
- The Countdown to Florida - Month 5
- Watching them sleep
- The Week That Was #18
- The Black and White Photo Project #42
- My Sunday Photo 2015 #18
- 365 Project 2015 Days 116 - 122
- ▼ May (44)
- ► 2014 (505)
- ► 2013 (480)
- ► 2012 (364)
- ► 2011 (229)
- ► 2010 (101)