The second book we chose to review from Maverick Books is called A Gold Star for George and is the follow up to the Black and White Club written by Alice Hemming and illustrated by Kimberley Scott and is the second book the George the giraffe and friends series.
This was another hit with Miss C because it is a story about animals. She recognised the book immediately as being similar to the Black and White Club and remembered the lemurs and penguins who were featured in the first book.
In this book, George the giraffe and all of the other animals in the zoo are very excited that the Heavenly Hippo Gold Star Awards are going to be given out and George wonders if he'll win one of the prestigious titles. There are lots of different categories and George hopes that he will get a gold star to display in his home for one of them. When he doesn't win as the awards are announced, George congratulates his friends and even helps his best friend, Seymour the lemur, to win the tidiest animal award.
George goes to sleep after all the awards have been given out feeling a bit sad that he didn't win anything but when he wakes in the morning, there is a big surprise for him.
This is a great story to encourage being kind towards others and being happy for friends even if you really wanted that something for yourself. The book is really easy to read and follow and is really colourful and fun.
For more information on this book and where to purchase it from, visit the Maverick Books website.
- ► 2016 (422)
- Me & Mine 2015 - June
- The First Tooth
- The Week That Was #26
- Learning to Ride A Bike
- The Black and White Photo Project #50
- My Sunday Photo 2015 #26
- 365 Project 2015 Days 172 - 178
- Pirates Don't Drive Diggers - Book Review
- A Box of Socks - Book Review
- Cake #TheGallery
- A Gold Star for George - Book Review
- Hedgehugs Horace and Hattiepillar - Book Review
- Going with no Hands
- The Week That Was #25
- What it Means to be A Father
- The Black and White Photo Project #49
- My Sunday Photo 2015 #25
- 365 Project 2015 Days 165 - 171
- The New Classes and Feeling Happy
- It's Move Up Day
- Sport #TheGallery
- Sibling Moments #18
- The Week That Was #24
- The Black and White Photo Project #48
- My Sunday Photo 2015 #24
- 365 Project 2015 Days 158 - 164
- House of Fraser Kids Clothing - Review
- Funny Things My Kids Say #39
- Buildings #TheGallery
- Trespass Backpack - Review
- What Does Mummy Do?
- The Week That Was #23
- My Sunday Photo 2015 #23
- The Black and White Photo Project #47
- 365 Project 2015 Days 151 - 157
- The Countdown to Florida - Month 4
- The Birthdays are Over...For Another Year
- A Favourite Place #TheGallery
- Frankie & Benny's New Pronto & Kids Menu - Review
- Interviewing my 8 Year Old
- Z Turns 8
- A Letter to my Eight Year Old
- ▼ June (42)
- ► 2014 (505)
- ► 2013 (480)
- ► 2012 (364)
- ► 2011 (229)
- ► 2010 (101)